Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gardens & Doves

Gardening is hard work...and I've only been at it for less than a month. But my roommate's dad helped us rototill the plot, which saved us energy and money. And we started many seeds indoors early this spring, so it's helped speed the process up a bit.
Right now, we've got a tidy little vegetable garden with the following hopefuls in place: 2 rows of potatoes, 2 rows of green beans, 2 rows of peas, 1 row of spinach, 1 row of lettuce, three small rows of 2 different types of onions, and a little space for tomatoes, green peppers, and a cucumber, eventually.

My roomie and I were going to get all sorts of work done around the house and garden this weekend, but decided to kick back, relax, and talk about stuff instead. It was wonderful! We discovered that each of our main love language is quality time, which is why we often get into fights about petty little things when we haven't been around one another much (I recommend discovering your own main love language via Dr. Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages for Singles; there are other versions for children and couples, too. It can really help families, couples, parents, and friends understand each other better.). Oh, and we discovered that our local Marsh store is about a mile away from our house and that her pedometer is WAAAAY off (by half a mile), which explains why we can't run there in five minutes. I can hardly wait for the exercise we will get while grocery shopping!

In the process of putz-ing around the house & eating our meals outside, we discovered that a sweet mourning dove family has taken up residence in our hanging ivy planter on the back porch. It's a protected spot, safe from the reach of our vicious kittycats, so I guess that Mr. & Mrs. Dove thought it'd be perfect for their nest. The last time I checked, there were two eggs. Mrs. sits on it so faithfully, still and quiet so noone would suspect her being there. She's flown off a couple times when someone comes outside, and Mr. has tried to pull the "Pay no attention to that dove in the planter--chase me around the yard!" bit. But I think that both the humans and the fauna are getting used to each other.

I think that God is using these quiet days I've had lately to bring me back to the simplicity of a relationship with Him. I fully believe that He is willing to answer my questions and doubts if I just take the time to be still and communicate with him.

Be still and know that I am God. Ps. 46:10
~Amy >^..^<

Pictures of the house and garden soon, I promise!

No comments: